10.17.2008

The third Saturday of October

HAPPY SWEETEST DAY!



Observed the 3rd Saturday in the month of October, Sweetest Day observance originated in Cleveland in 1922. Herbert Birch Kingston, a philanthropist and candy company employee wanted to bring happiness into the lives of orphans, shut-ins and others who were forgotten. With the help of friends, he began to distribute candy and small gifts to the underprivileged.



Primarily a regional observance celebrated in the Great Lakes region and the Northeast, Sweetest Day is gradually spreading to other areas of the country. People tend to take the Sweetest Day tradition with them when they move. Ohio is the top state for Sweetest Day sales, followed by Michigan and Illinois. Texas, California and Florida are among the top 10 states in sales.


Over the years, Sweetest Day has evolved into a time to express romantic love and also to show appreciation to friends. (Taken from THIS site.)




Of course, growing up in Cleveland, we always had Sweetest Day. My mom and dad would gift us a candy bar next to our breakfast plates. I know there are a lot of cynics out there who poo-poo Sweetest Day. But that just means they are not a Buckeye and/or not a fun loving, celebratory sort of person. My kids (and Ken) will find a candy bar next to their plates in the morning. If you are out and about tomorrow, pick up a little candy bar for your kids or husband. Send a card to a loved one or take one over to the neighbor.



That just reminded me of a song I learned in elementary school.



Love is something if you give it away, give it away, give it away.

Love is something if you give it away, then you'll just end up having more.



It's just like a magic penny;

hold it close and you won't have any.



Spend it and share it...(can't remember this line exactly)

You'll have so many, they roll over over the floor.



Oh....



Love is something if you give it away, give it away, give it away.
Love is something if you give it away, then you'll just end up having more.





Which brings me to the next song that I was trying to recall this week. A fugue. With different parts...each being a musical instrument and its description.



The horn, the horn,

Awakes me at morn.



The clarinet, the clarinet,

Goes doodle, doodle, doodle, doodle det.



The flute plays its melody...

(don't remember the 2nd part.)







And thus I digress from the Sweetest Day post. haha.

3 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

well, I never heard of sweetest day and find myself now avoiding all sweets as I was diagnosed with diabetes. It's not easy to avoid sweets....

wispy willow said...

What??!! Another reason for eating chocolate? Giving a small sweet to my sweetie? Count me in!

I shall set a lovely truffle next to my hubby's plate....and mine, of course. I'll take a little dish of Trick or Treat candies to a couple of the neighbors and think of you all the while. Thanks for the fun idea.

Susan said...

Happy Sweetest Day...and btw....You will be missed...more than you will ever imagine