11.20.2015

My dresser project.


After it sat in the garage all summer, I brought it into the kitchen b/c 1. it had to get done so we can start parking the cars in the garage. 2 it had to get done b/c I'm hosting Thanksgiving 3. it had to get done period. I had wood puttied the curvy drawers earlier in the summer and sanded. But a few weeks ago, finished it off...and brought the piece inside with the help of Connor Barrett.


Bc this peice had funny handles, not centered on the drawer, I put putty in the holes. After it was primed and sanded, Ken drilled the holes.


I quickly chose Explorer Blue by Behr. Thanks Marcela McNerney for seconding that opinion. I mixed the 2 c. paint, 2/3 c. Plaster of Paris, 2/3 c water...and had plenty, with a bit left over, for 3 coats of painting, then sanding.


Still eating in the family room. Luckily my kids are teens and neat eaters! Such a happy color!


Great details! I bought this bedroom set from PeggyPeggy Wimmer Lester Morse after I graduated from college. I still have the 2 dressers and the night stand. I'm so regretting getting rid of the matching desk and ornate mirror. Oh well....


Curvy drawers!!!


I mixed Americana Acrylic paints (Brilliant Red and Ebony) to create a warm black. Mixed in with a slurry of plaster of paris...and extra water...and sloshed it on, then wiped/mr. clean erasered it off again!


Coming along nicely....Still peppering Shelly Roxburywith oodles of questions...even stopped by a consignment shop that sells "name brand" chalk paint. They couldn't answer my questions..and in the end, I decided those die hard name brand fans were actually chalk paint snobs!




I drybrusted (aka dusting if you are snob) Americana Chalky Finish in Everlasting and then a layer of Americana Chalky Finish in Primitive to soften the white a bit....





Bringing out the drawer details....



Last night, I got my eating area back in the kitchen...washed the floor...and Ken helped me add the knobs....




Presto magic...I feel like a rock star.....after 2 coats of rubbing SC Johnson's wax..and buffing...I"m buff like a rock star! haha.... 

And Thanks to Shelly Roxbury and my family for putting up with it!! And Debbie Seibold and Tiffany Palmer and my other friends who had to hear me talk about this dresser for 2 weeks!


Although, it is not in the "right place yet," you can see my color combos in my house are up beat and happy. As I told my pal, Kimberly Ray Presson, Just pretend you are in Mexico when you stop by!

Next up...the matching tall dresser...
but only if I can convince *A that it will look so much better than her particle board dresser. I might just have to fix it up next summer...whether she likes it or not!

No comments: