3.27.2008

A Warm Welcome

In a few short minutes, my two school aged kids will bound through the door and I will be able to greet them with fresh cinnamon rolls and regular rolls...fresh from the oven. I posted this picture a few weeks ago of some mouth watering bread.




When I was about to be married, I told my grandmother that I didn't want the bread machine that she was planning on gifting me as a wedding present. I've never used a bread machine but I know how good hand made bread tastes. So I have always done mine by hand. I probably don't make bread nearly as often as I should. But it's always a great treat. (And sharing cinnamon rolls with my neighbor keeps our street plowed!)

Here is the recipe that I use for white bread. It makes a double batch. Remember, as in most things, you need to practice. My mom can turn out perfect rolls every time. Mine are mostly good..some times not so hot. I always mix this by hand. And after adding the eggs and oil, I literally mix in the flour by hand.

(haha...Kids just walked in. I heard C exclaim, "YUM!" as soon as his nose got inside the house!)

My kids are now gleefully eating fresh cinnamon rolls! Such a treat after a long hard day at school.

Linda Zuro was a friend of the family who shared this fantastic recipe with us years ago.


Linda Zero's Bread Dough

Prove for 10 minutes (at least):
4 c. water
4 Tbl. yeast
1 c. sugar (1/4 c. for dinner rolls)

Add 6 cups of flour and then prove about 15 minutes.

Add 2 eggs at room temperature, 4 tsp. salt, 1/2 c. oil and mix.

Add 6-8 cups flour. Mix and knead.

Rise 1-1.5 hours.

Punch down. Roll out. Rise 1 more hour. Bake 375 degrees until done.

When I make this size batch, I cut my dough into 4 balls to form 4 pans of cinnamon rolls. If I want to make half dinner rolls and half cinnamon rolls, I put in about 1/3 c. sugar. The brown sugar and cinnamon coupled with confectionary sugar frosting on top is just fine for cinnamon rolls.

Remember...practice makes perfect. And when you're practicing, your family will enjoy eating up the rolls!

Now, is my homemade beef vegetable soup done yet? It's going to be a fine dinner! Especially with the snowflakes that are still falling here in Michigan!

4 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow, you are a working mom... you work at home and what a blessing for your family. it also makes for less guilt to not be away from your family during the day, i know i had to work to sustain my family. wish i lived closer, the soup and bread sound amazing. aunt lin

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe Dawn....now personally, I am NOT a Martha (more of an Erma Bombeck) so a bread machine works for me (and I don't even use that very often!) I will have to try this tho....even Erma should try something homemade once in a while!
Starla

QuiltNut Creations said...

those look too tasty!

Shelly said...

Whoa! Can I come to your house for an after school snack? I LOVE how homemade bread tastes too and can't wait to try this recipe out!